- Find out the dietary requirements for your kind of turtle. Different species of turtle have different preferences. You'll also find that individual turtles differ in taste as well. You need to find what your turtle likes!
- Provide a varied diet. Turtles are omnivores, so they will eat plants and meats. Typically they will eat more plants, especially as they're older. You will need to use a mix of store bought 'turtle sticks' and fresh food.
- Vitamin supplements. Turtles need the right vitamins to maintain healthy bones and shell. Vitamins come in different forms, so see what they have at your local pet store.
- Don't overfeed your turtle! This is a common mistake among turtle owners. Overfeeding makes turtles obese and makes the aquariums A LOT dirtier and harder to clean. Feed a big meal 2-3 times per week, or a small meal every day.
- Have a feeding schedule. Have a plan of what to feed your turtle each day of the week (or in 10-day cycles). This will help to keep you disciplined in providing a varied and balanced diet for you turtles. DO NOT get lazy and feed only commercial bought turtle sticks. These are good as a staple only.
- Fresh food. Turtles love leafy vegetables (but spinach is not good), berries, worms, feeder fish, shrimp, cooked chicken, and a lot more. Don't feed fatty foods like other pet foods. You'll have to find what's best for your turtle.
- Feeder fish are good in small amounts every once in a while. Nutritionally, they are low quality foods, but they do provide exercise and excitement for your turtle as he 'hunts' them. This is also funnest things to watch in turtle keeping!
- Provide a small bowl of freshwater for the turtle to drink. The swimming water will be too dirty from the turtle's excretions and activity.Get more detailed information on how much and what to feed your turtle. You will need a reference guide on all aspects of turtle keeping. Many pet turtles die from easily preventable nutrition problems because owners neglect this advice. There are many turtle guides available in print, but your best choice is a downloadable guide for turle keeping
It's not as difficult as it sounds to establish a good feeding routine for your turtles. The most important thing about turtle keeping is keeping your turtle happy and healthy! The best way to do this is to know what you're doing!